Monday, May 16, 2016

Life full of Regrets




As we get older in life, we begin to look back on all of the events which have taken place. We begin to ask internal questions. Why did I do it this way? Why did I make mistakes in my marriage? Did I fail in the raising of my children? Did I pick the right career? Did I make the right choices overall?

Life can be filled with regrets and filled with many mistakes. I know I have made my fair share. There are things I would change in my life up till this point. I would change my physical condition. I have allowed my body to get out of shape by eating incorrectly and not exercising. By doing this, I have taken years off of my life in the future. If I could go back in time, I would parent my children a little differently. During their teenage years, I believe I allowed too much freedom which in turn probably help lead two of my children down the wrong path. Another thing I would change is higher education and a different career. If I knew that I would never be in full-time ministry, I would have gone to law school and become a lawyer.

 I wish I had wise mentors back in the day who would have taken the time to steer me in the right direction. Unfortunately, I did not have the mentors until years later. Most of the leaders I did have were very self-centered and motivated by personal agendas. A lot of these men were supposedly men of God but demonstrated the opposite of Christ. I use to wonder why I deserved such treatment from the hands of selfish men. I never found the answer other than God had a plan.  Here I am at age 44 and I still have allowed my past circumstances to effect me. Why are regrets so hard to get over? Are we suppose to get over regrets or not have them?

I believe regrets are a part of life. Even God had regrets. Genesis 6: 6 " So the Lord was sorry that he had every made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart." ( NLT) God had seen how evil the world had become in the days of Noah; he regretted creating humankind again to only see them fall into corruption. However, God's regret moved Him to provide a way out for all. His way out from sin would come through his son Jesus. God did not stay in His regrets but moved beyond them.

Regrets are a part of life. The key is to not allow our regrets from moving us forward. Apostle Paul said it best. Philippians 3:13  “Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Apostle Paul experienced regrets and set backs but he chose to leave it all behind. He knew that he could never go back so it was important to simply move forward.

Regrets are typically stuck in a time bubble and placed on a finite bookshelf. As believers, we should strive to hear the voice of God and follow after Him. There are times when we will incorrectly interpret his voice. There are times when we will miss the mark and regrets will take place. However,we can learn from our regrets and make our future endeavors successful. Apostle Paul desired to press forward with Christ. He chose to keep heading for that glorious prize. Regrets, setbacks, trials, failures, mistakes, or any other issues would not stop the bulldozer of faith from pushing up ground towards God's glory. We should follow the example and do the same. Being in Christ means never being condemned for past mistakes. Being in Christ means we don't have to live life full of Regrets. 

Post a Comment