What if I told you that Jesus was returning sometime this year? What if I gave you 2014 reasons why Jesus will return this year? The Truth of the matter is that I can't. Many people have tried to predict our Savior's imminent return but have overwhelmingly failed. Scripture is very clear that no man will know the hour or day of Christ's return. Read the scripture below spoken by Jesus himself.
Matthew 24:33-39 In the same way, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the door. (34) "I can guarantee this truth: This generation will not disappear until all these things take place. (35) The earth and the heavens will disappear, but my words will never disappear. (36) "No one knows when that day or hour will come. Even the angels in heaven and the Son don't know. Only the Father knows. (37) "When the Son of Man comes again, it will be exactly like the days of Noah. (38) In the days before the flood, people were eating, drinking, and getting married until the day that Noah went into the ship. (39) They were not aware of what was happening until the flood came and swept all of them away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes again.
The scripture says no one knows the day or hour. The Greek word for day is Hemera which means a whole 24 hours. The Greek word for hour is Hora which means hour or time. It can also mean a season like spring or summer. We can't know the Day or the season what about the possible month or festival which could point to Jesus' return?
Jesus died and rose again around 30 to 35 A.D. ( The exact dates are disputed.) If there is some truth to the Apostle Peter's comment about a day to the Lord is like a thousand years and the theory of the 7th day rest is true, then Christ could very well return sometime in the years of 2030 through 2035 A.D. The theory of the 7th day rest talks about God resting all on the 7th day in regards to stopping the sin in the world and Jesus returning to set up His kingdom.
If this theory turns out to be true then we have less than 20 years before the complete return of Christ. If this is true, then what will you be doing? What are you plans and goals in Christ? We don't know the 24 hour or day of His return. We don't know the exact season of His return, but can we know the approximate year? It appears to be feasible, but no one can truly say it is fact. The only fact, we believers have, is that Christ is returning,the church will be resurrected, and Jesus will reign and rule this planet for a 1,000 years.
Can we know the month or months of His returning? There is another theory about the Jewish festivals. God gave the festivals or feasts to the Jews during the time of Moses. Each festival represents something that Christ fulfilled when He walked the Earth the first time. There were 7 Jewish Festivals or feasts laid out in the book of Leviticus chapters 23-25. Below I will submit a list of what they were and how each represented Jesus' actions or future actions and how a few have not been fulfilled yet.
7 Jewish Feasts and Jesus' Fulfillment of them.
1. The Passover: This feast was celebrated because God saved Israel from Egypt's tyranny and spared them the deaths of their firstborns. The feast was marked with a slaughter of a Lamb. Jesus fulfilled this prophetic feast by being slaughtered for all of mankind on the cross.
2. Feast of Unleavened Bread: Leaven represented Sin. This feast was used to get the Jews to live holy lives and walk in holiness. They had to eat unleavened bread during this time to symbolize this holy walk. Jesus came and declared that He is the Bread of Life and that true holiness now comes through knowing Him and being known by Him.
3. Feast of First Fruits: The Israelites would come and give their first fruits from their gardens or livestock to the living God. It was a time of giving up all to the Lord and celebrating His promises. Jesus fulfilled this Feast by being the First Fruita of the resurrection. Because He lives again, now we all are promised to live again!
4. Pentecost: This feast was 50 days after the First Fruits festival. It marked the summer harvest and was celebrated by the baking of two breads together. Jesus fulfilled this festival by giving us the Holy Spirit who in turn brought the church together. The church consist of Jew and Gentile and was launched into the world during this time. We are currently under the Pentecost orders given to us by Jesus and Holy Spirit. We must keep following those orders until His return. Simply those orders are to " Go " into all the world.
The next three feast have not been fulfilled yet through Christ. If we are to believe this theory then we are waiting for the last three to come to past. All three of these happen within the Months of September through October. Could Christ return in one of these months? No one knows the day or the season. What about the possible year and the month or months?
5. The Feast of Trumpets:This feast was used to remind the people of Israel that their redemption was through God. Jesus is our redemption and it is believed that during this festival the Church will be resurrected. Paul the apostle talks about the last trumpet sounding. Jesus talked about the sounding of the trumpets as well. The bible seems to declare that the world will hear these trumpet blasts, then a disappearance of many.
6. The Day of Atonement: During this feast, two goats were taken. One goat was sacrificed for the sins of Israel. The other goat was symbolically given the sins of the nation and expelled into the wilderness or desert. Jesus will come and complete our atonement by reigning and ruling for 1,000 years. Satan, the father or creator of sin, will be banished into the abyss for a 1,000 years. He will then be released, conquered forever, and thrown into the Lake of Fire with every devil and human being who has denied the promises of God.
7. The Feast of Tabernacles: This was celebrated with people building booths or small tabernacles. They were reminded during this festival when God brought them out of Egypt and lived in the middle of their camp for 40 years in the Tabernacle that Moses was commissioned to set up. Jesus will fulfill this feast after the 1,000 year reign. All will be turned over to the Father, and the world will see the Kingdom of God. We will come and have fellowship with our Lord. His kingdom will be in the center of the planet. The bible talks about Super highways which will bring us there. All will be restored during this time.
I know some of this might seem way out in left field or from a Scifi movie, but it is the word of God. I can't say for certain that the Theories of Seven Days or the Festivals are truly fact, but I can say that I believe they are close to telling us when our Lord will return. The key is to be ready regardless. The Apostles preached on the return of Christ in their day. They actually believed Jesus would return in their life time. They would encourage the Body of Christ to be ready no matter what. The Signs were out there just like they are for us today. The Birth pangs have started; it is just a matter of time before we shall see Him. Our goal, our current purpose, is to be like the 5 virgins who were ready to meet their groom. ( Matthew 25) We must have our oil ready for the lamps because the midnight journey could be very soon. We must continue to follow the Pentecost commission and go into all the world. Will our Lord return finding us waiting or doing?