Sunday, May 25, 2014

A Man's letter to His family and Friends




This letter is to my family and friends. Years ago, I decided to write letters that are typically written before someone dies. I am not dying, to my knowledge, as of yet. I feel healthy and have a lot of energy. However, no one can predict his or hers passing. We are simply on borrowed time. This is why it is so important to not waste our life on useless things or get caught up in lustful desires. 

Life is like being on a road that is only a mile long. The starting pointing and the end destination are not all that important as the traveling in between. The question I ask myself often. " What am I doing on this road?" I have been blessed to be one of those people who are always thinking and looking up at the stars. My life has been adventurous and amazing so far. I am married to a beautiful and lovely wife. I have been blessed with four handsome and beautiful children. God has surrounded me with wonderful family, friends and acquaintances. I have a great job that I love and supplies for my needs and desires. Most importantly, I have a relationship with the living King. I am at peace within myself, but I am at turmoil as well. I know that sounds like a double negative or seems impossible to have both. I am at peace through Christ, but the turmoil is the gut wrenching feeling that there is something more I should be doing. 

I believe there is a spiritual instinctive desire that hits individuals at certain points in their lives. Mine started at or around my early 30's. There has been some shifting in my life to accommodate but circumstances put things on the back burner. Now there is a renewal in side of me to accomplish something more in and through Christ. The funny thing is, I don't have a complete clue what the change looks like. I am just going into this thing as blind as a bat. Holy Spirit has to lead me.

I wanted to share what my ambitions are and what I am hopefully remembered for when I do past away. Legacy is so important to me. Maybe it is too important to me. Currently I am concerned if my family Surname will be carried on to the next generation through our family tree. I love my last name, but it is just temporary. My heavenly name through Christ is more important. Who will be our heirs and will they serve the Lord? What can be done to ensure this? 

Because I am quirky this way. I have to list my ambitions and desires for this second half of my life in a clear, defined order. Therefore, below is my list that I share with all who desire to read. I hope that it will spark something in you and cause you to take a 360 degree look at your life. What are you doing right now? If you have reached the last half of your life, what are you going to do? For me, I am believing that the second half of my life is greater than my first and will carry a greater significance. All I can do is trust in the living God and follow him. 

My Ambitions and desires for the Second half of my life. 

1. Have a more defined and closer relationship with my Savior.
2. Reach the next level of  relationship building with my wife. We are planning to go to Italy for our 25th wedding anniversary and renew our vowels. ( a,e,i,o,u and sometimes y. Just joking.) If you desire to come, let me know.
3. Reach the next level of relationship building with all my children. This means  becoming more of an influence and hopefully a mentor in their lives. 
4. Spend more time with my other family members.
5. Mentor and disciple as many young hearts that I can handle.
6. Serve and simply help people. I want my life to be about service and showing the love of Christ to others. This means traveling around the United States, traveling abroad, and supporting different charities that make a difference. It also means building up my own non-profit which will be used as an outlet to perform some of these tasks. 

That is it. 6 simple thoughts and ambitions. Obviously I have done most of these most of my whole life, but I feel this desire to step it up a notch. All I can do is move into a more significant place with my ambitions and godly desires. I simply want to help others in whatever capacity I can. This is my personal mission and hope. There is more to life than the rat race and busyness. If your life is all about yourself ( which I am willing to bet it is), then when will you move from self to others? Life is only a mile long. Some of us are at different markers on the mile stretch. Nonetheless, the mile drive is almost over what will be your significant contribution to this world that you will one day leave behind? 


Post a Comment