Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Ministry



 If you have been in ministry for any length of time you have probably heard the words " My Ministry". Many pastors and leaders take on a personal approach to what God has called them to do. There is nothing wrong with this ideal until " My Ministry" becomes the only ministry you care about and all others are second to you.

I have seen this take place time and time again. I have had ministers tell me to close our church up and come join THEIR ministry. I have had many offers from many selfish leaders in this manner. THEIR MINISTRY was assumed to be the better one. I have seen it recently, and it is an on going battle from selfish hearts who forget the ministry belongs to the Lord. They also forget that in order to be great in His kingdom; you must become the least.

Luke_9:48  Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me. Whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. The one who is least among all of you is the one who is greatest."





The " MINISTRY", if you will, first and foremost belongs to the living God. He is the one who called us, and He is the one that teaches us through His wisdom.

When Paul the apostle traveled to different churches; he never made his visit about his ministry. He made it about the Body of Christ. He would raise finances and other resources from different churches and distribute them out to the poorer of the churches in the region.


 2 Corinthians 11:7-9  Did I commit a sin when I humbled myself by telling you the Good News of God free of charge so that you could become important?  (8)  I robbed other churches by taking pay from them to serve you.  (9)  When I was with you and needed something, I didn't bother any of you for help. My friends from the province of Macedonia supplied everything I needed. I kept myself from being a financial burden to you in any way, and I will continue to do that.



We have lost our way in what the Lord has called us to do. Many ministries are bent on building up their church and their ministry. They never fellowship with other churches and gleam from their witness.Our view of the church should be the church of the city, nation, and world. We are one Body devoted to One God. Yes, every individual has a calling and a purpose through Christ;however, that purpose is for the Body of Christ not for the individual.

So how can we get away from the " My Ministry" mentality?

1. Realize you are nothing without the Grace of God
2. Realize that your calling is meant to serve the Body of Christ not the other way around.
3. Fall in love with the Body of Christ as a whole and desire to see her excel to the highest heights for Jesus.
4. Make Christ your number one priority in your life instead of the affirmation of others.
5. Simply repent for being selfish and not of God.

If you are under the " My Ministry" mentality there is still hope for you. Simply fall on your knees and ask God to forgive you for stealing His calling and calling it your own. Simply humble yourself before the Lord and don't let pride rise up in you.





Post a Comment