1 Thessalonians 5:1-28 Brothers and sisters, you don't need anyone to write to you about times and dates. (2) You know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. (3) When people say, "Everything is safe and sound!" destruction will suddenly strike them. It will be as sudden as labor pains come to a pregnant woman. They won't be able to escape. (4) But, brothers and sisters, you don't live in the dark. That day won't take you by surprise as a thief would. (5) You belong to the day and the light not to the night and the dark. (6) Therefore, we must not fall asleep like other people, but we must stay awake and be sober. (7) People who sleep, sleep at night; people who get drunk, get drunk at night. (8) Since we belong to the day, we must be sober.We must put on faith and love as a breastplate and the hope of salvation as a helmet. (9) It was not God's intention that we experience his anger but that we obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. (10) He died for us so that, whether we are awake in this life or asleep in death, we will live together with him. (11) Therefore, encourage each other and strengthen one another as you are doing.
Believers will know when Jesus is getting ready to appear again on our planet. We are the children of the day not the children of the Dark. We all will have an knowing within us when Jesus gets ready to step out from the clouds. This truth should not be of a surprise to us. Believers all over the world should have a deep unction within their spirit as Holy Spirit begins to bring us to the next paradigm. The key is staying connected to the heart of God. This passage demonstrates how important it is to have a relationship with the Father. Only those who are connected to the heart of God will know of His dealings. God has not stop moving in the Universe. Those who have the lights turned on are not oblivious to His truth.
How we will escape the coming wrath of God?
1. Not getting comfortable with worldly things.
2. Not taken by surprise the coming of Christ.
3. Being awake and sober to the truth of God's word.
4. Being children of the Day and understanding the seasons.
5. Keeping Faith, love, and hope constantly connected within us.
6. Live out His salvation for us.
7. Encouraging one another to the very end.
(12) Brothers and sisters, we ask you to show your appreciation for those leaders who work among you and instruct you. (13) We ask you to love them and think very highly of them because of the work they are doing. Live in peace with each other. (14) We encourage you, brothers and sisters, to instruct those who are not living right, cheer up those who are discouraged, help the weak, and be patient with everyone. (15) Make sure that no one ever pays back one wrong with another wrong. Instead, always try to do what is good for each other and everyone else. (16) Always be joyful. (17) Never stop praying. (18) Whatever happens, give thanks, because it is God's will in Christ Jesus that you do this. (19) Don't put out the Spirit's fire. (20) Don't despise what God has revealed. (21) Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good. (22) Keep away from every kind of evil.
1. Appreciate the leaders that God has given us and are used to instruct us with the truth of God's word. Leaders in the Body of Christ are actually under appreciated and are usually used as scapegoats for people's failed lives. Leaders should be respected
2. Live at peace with Each other. Believers should be the most forgiving and the most understanding of each other. They should never disown each other or throw each other to the curb because of disagreements. Sadly though, the church is filled with unforgiveness and abandonment. No wonder the world does not want what we have. When I had to close the second church plant down; a year and half later I found myself disown and gossiped about by some people who were friends of mine for years. It is sad but it happens. Most Christians only follow God's word when it benefits them. Instead of coming to person or persons that have offended them; they rather be cowards from the truth.
3. Instruct those who are doing wrong. We are to point out each others faults in godly love. We are also called to reveal the truth to those who are absent from the light.
4. Cheer up those who are discouraged. Believers should lift each other in times of sorrow and need. We should help carry each others burdens. We are also called to bring an encouraging word to those who don't know Christ intimately in hopes that he or she will draw near to Him.
5. Help the weak. Jesus calls us to help those who are less fortunate than we are. Reaching out to others is one of the fundamental truths of our faith.
6. Be patient with each other. Here is something I have a hard time with. Being patient with people is not always easy. We want people to be patient with us but sometimes don't give them the same response. Being patient with each other means being understanding of each other differences. It is an humbling experience and part of our Christ-Like character.
7. Don't get revenge but try to do good to each other. Once again this is part of our Christ-Like character. Many preach the word of God today but don't have the character to back up the message. Many believers don't have the character to match the truth they are trying to share.
8. Always be joyful. We are called to be excited and exuberant in the Lord. All the prune faced Christians need to question their walk with the Lord. Being in Christ means being joyful in the Lord.
9. Never stop praying. As I have grown older in the Lord, I have noticed my prayer life has changed as well. My prayer life has increased and I find myself prayer walking. This means my whole life is consumed within the bubble of Prayer. I pray as I drive. I pray as I sleep. I pray as I work. I pray as I am lead. I pray constantly.
10. Always give thanks. Our life with the Lord should be filled with thanks. He has done so much for us. He has given us so much. We have plenty to be thankful for. Even in times of sorrow, we can be thankful because He is with us.
11. Don't put out the Spirit's Fire. Don't stop the Holy Spirit from doing what He is commissioned to do in your life. Allow Him to reveal your heart. Allow Him to reveal your unholiness.
12. Don't despise what the Lord has revealed. Don't despise His truth. Live His word. Many despise God's word because it is clear and true. It changes the lives of those who are willing to follow it.
13. Test everything. We have to be careful. Many are following false teachings and don't even realize it. Many are following men and women because those men or women tell them everything they want to hear.
14. Hold on to what is good and keep away from evil. We are called to live pure and holy lives. Excepting the love of the Lord means excepting his standard of Holiness.
There is so much truth in this passage. Allow Holy Spirit to reveal His truth more and more to you. Break it down and see what the Lord has to say.