Monday, February 27, 2012

Embracing our weakness

I use to be a very shy person. I guess you could say that at my core; I am an introvert. It was hard for me growing up. At home, I was fine with my siblings but many times I was off to my own corner. I had my own toys and  usually played by myself. I could spend hours in solidarity without any issue. My imagination was all I needed to carry me through an afternoon of fun. It is not always easy being the shy guy. I am not sure what actually caused my shyness. My dad is shy,but my home life was never abusive or anything which would hinder my development as a person. From articles I have read, shyness can simply be instilled within you at birth. I use to fight my shyness. I got involved with the drama club at school. Doing plays and other events did help me break out of my shell some, but deep down I was still battling. Being filled with the Holy Spirit changed my actions some as well. I became more bold in my faith and demeanor. Even with all the changes in my life; my shyness was still deep within my core. I hated being around crowds; even today I start to sweat and get fidgety.

One thing I have learned over the years, through Holy Spirit, is to embrace my shyness. I was created different and shyness is a part of who I am. Like anything in life. Our weaknesses can either remain our weakness or become one of our strengths. Shy people have something that most people don't. We have characteristics which are embedded within us.

Strengths which arise from being shy.

1. Cautious thinking. Being shy gives you opportune time to think things through. It helps you to think before you speak on most occasions.
2. Discernment of spirit. Shy people have a great range of discernment. Due to our ability to observe people; it allows an unbiased look into the intentions of others.
3. Meekness: Our shyness can sometimes allow people to feel peaceful around us.
4. Trustworthy: Being shy gives off the persona that we are trustworthy. People feel confident around us.
5. Over comers: Shy people have an overwhelming strength to overcome situations in life. It gives them an ability to fight against the unusual circumstances.

Obviously if  I did not embrace my shyness and overcome the weak points of it then I would still be in a shell. If you do not embrace how God has made you then you will never be able to overcome your weaknesses.
Someone once said "The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled.  For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers."

Scripture is clear that we have the power of God within us to overcome any weakness in our life. The Lord desires to make our weaknesses into strengths.


2 Corinthians 12:9-10  But he told me: "My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak." So I will brag even more about my weaknesses in order that Christ's power will live in me.  (10)  Therefore, I accept weakness, mistreatment, hardship, persecution, and difficulties suffered for Christ. It's clear that when I'm weak, I'm strong.


Once we embrace our weakness and turn them over to the Lord ; then we will see true freedom in our lives.


 
Post a Comment