Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sitting on the Sidelines

American Football is by far the most popular game in my country and sometimes the most complex. I will not claim to know allot about it because I don't. But I can give you experiences that I had growing up and hope that they can be used as an analogy for the lesson which is in my heart today. Growing up, we played football with surrounding neighbors or even church kids. We called it REDNECK football because we did not have any rules nor any padding to cushion our hits or falls. REDNECK football meant you could tackle the guy with the ball anyway you saw fit. It was not unheard up to see a short guy flying in the air doing a WHA WHO McDaniel ( an old wrestler) drop kicking the guy with the ball. I loved it!!! I was a gymnasts and ran track when I was younger, so you would see me doing flips and having movements of speed bursts going down the field. Because of my short stature and quickness on the feet; I rarely was hit by the big guys. Don't get me wrong there were times when I was hit and boy did it hurt like Bull hitting a side of a barn.  Football has two teams that go at it towards each other to make a goal. In REDNECK football, we would have 5 to 6 of our team members on the field at one time and change out the players throughout the game. I hated sitting on the sidelines and watching the game. I wanted to be in the game. I wanted to run ( bare footed I might add) down the field to make a goal. There is nothing like the feeling of running past all the players and making a goal. You get to slam the ball on the ground and do the little wiggle dance. It's awesome!!!! Sitting on the sidelines stopped me from being in the game. It gave me the rest I needed but if I sat there too long then I got antsy.

There is a race or a spiritual football game we are playing in life. Our present life has to make a difference for the Kingdom of God. I don't do things for God so I can have a relationship for Him. I have a relationship with Him so I am compelled to share His message with others.

Philippians 3:12-15  It's not that I've already reached the goal or have already completed the course. But I run to win that which Jesus Christ has already won for me.  (13)  Brothers and sisters, I can't consider myself a winner yet. This is what I do: I don't look back, I lengthen my stride, and  (14)  I run straight toward the goal to win the prize that God's heavenly call offers in Christ Jesus.  (15)  Whoever has a mature faith should think this way. And if you think differently, God will show you how to think.

Too many Christians are sitting on the side lines in their faith. They watch all the players running up and down the field and making all the field goals while they sit and watch. Being a believer is NOT A SPECTATOR'S sport. Paul the apostle said there is a goal we must all reach in our life on this planet. WHOEVER HAS A MATURE FAITH thinks this way. How powerful is that? Don't get me wrong there are times where we have to sit on the side lines to rest and regain our strength but to camp there is not God's will.We are called to something much better than this. I want to encourage you. Get your head back into the game. Get back on the field. Go bust some devils heads open. Drop kick them in the face and make a field goal for Jesus. Do the wiggle dance at the goal post and make Daddy proud. He loves to watch us play. Play with passion and out of your love for Him. Win because you are already a winner through Christ.
Post a Comment