Mary , the mother of Jesus, received news from the angel Gabriel that she would conceive and have a son. This son would be the promised Messiah. After her prophetic message from the angel she visits her cousin Elizabeth who is also carrying a prophetic child. Mary and Elizabeth embrace and immediately Elizabeth begins to prophetically declare the promise of God over Mary and her child. Mary is overwhelmed with the Spirit's utterance that she begins to prophesy and declare. I believe there are some power statements within this prophetic utterance that I wanted to share with you.
1. " My Soul praises the Greatness of the Lord" She declared this about her God and about her Son who was forming in her womb. She made a declaration about the greatness of our Savior. Deuteronomy 32:3 I will proclaim the name of the LORD. Give our God the greatness he deserves! Jesus would truly come and show the greatness of the Living God. His greatness still reigns triumphant today!
2. " My Spirit finds Joy in my God, My Savior." Do you know how awkward it must have been for Mary to pledge her allegiance to her son who was still forming in her womb? She prophesied that her unborn child was her Savior and Lord. WOW! How powerful is that! When the spirit of Prophecy rest upon us the utterance of God can be overwhelming and our hearts are brought to greater understandings.
3."From now on, all people will call me blessed" This was not an arrogant statement but one that was profound. Mary stands throughout time not only as the Mother of the World's hope but the example of Christian virtue and humility. She teaches all Christians everywhere on how to obey the voice of God without waver.
4. " His name is holy" The Holiness of God was declared in this little baby. Finally man kind could approach the holiness of God without dying on the spot. Exodus 15:11 "Who is like you among the gods, O LORD? Who is like you? You are glorious because of your holiness and awe-inspiring because of your splendor. You perform miracles.
5. " For those who fear him, his mercy lasts throughout every generation." She prophesied the mercy of Christ. How he would show compassion to all men. She also was prophesying about the reign of the Lord. ( Revelation 21-22)
6."He displayed his mighty power. He scattered those who think too highly of themselves. (52) He pulled strong rulers from their thrones. He honored humble people." This statement is so significant. Jesus would come and conquer all spiritual wickedness in high places. He would give hope and power to anyone who believes. He gives grace to the humbled and victory to the God fearing. Colossians 2:14-15 He did this by erasing the charges that were brought against us by the written laws God had established. He took the charges away by nailing them to the cross. (15) He stripped the rulers and authorities of their power and made a public spectacle of them as he celebrated his victory in Christ.
7. "He fed hungry people with good food. He sent rich people away with nothing. " Jesus would come and draw close to those who were poor in spirit. He would come and give hope to those who were suffering. His message is one of deliverance and redemption. He would be the defender of the poor and down trotted. Psalm 82:3 Defend weak people and orphans. Protect the rights of the oppressed and the poor.
8. "He remembered to help his servant Israel forever. (55) This is the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and his descendants." God's eternal purpose for Israel is revealed through the life of Christ. Jesus came from a promised nation. He would fulfill the prophesy of Israel through His life , and he would bring everyone to a great understanding. Hebrews 8:10 But this is the promise that I will make to Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my teachings inside them, and I will write those teachings on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
I believe we need to learn from the Prophesy of Mary the mother of Jesus. What God gave her to speak is so profound for our day and time. Our Lord is great and Mighty. He is the merciful God. He is the victorious King!. We have so much to be thankful for and to look forward too. The prophetic voice of the Lord is still flowing today. May we all hear His voice more intimately!