Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Revisiting Christian Doctrine Part 4 ( Serving the Lord)
Why is it that churches find it hard to get workers? Why don't believers have a heart to serve? There should never be an empty position. In fact there should always be people on a waiting list to fill a position of service within the local church. Believers should be lining up wanting to serve the Lord with great enthusiasm. A pastor should never have to ask for volunteers. Why is this not happening? Many believers are just believers in word but not in action. Our faith is an action verb which means it must have legs. If your walk with God is not moving then you don't have a relationship with the Almighty.
James 2:19-26 You believe that there is one God. That's fine! The demons also believe that, and they tremble with fear. (20) You fool! Do you have to be shown that faith which does nothing is useless? (21) Didn't our ancestor Abraham receive God's approval as a result of what he did when he offered his son Isaac as a sacrifice on the altar? (22) You see that Abraham's faith and what he did worked together. His faith was shown to be genuine by what he did. (23) The Scripture passage came true. It says, "Abraham believed God, and that faith was regarded by God to be his approval of Abraham." So Abraham was called God's friend. (24) You see that a person receives God's approval because of what he does, not only because of what he believes. (25) The same is true of the prostitute Rahab who welcomed the spies and sent them away on another road. She received God's approval because of what she did. (26) A body that doesn't breathe is dead. In the same way faith that does nothing is dead.
Here are some truths when discussing about a life that serves the Lord.
1. Just believing in God is not enough. Even demons do that but they don't serve the Lord.
2. Faith is useless unless it is given action. It must tangibly touch others.
3. Faith is organic which means it lives by interacting with others.
4. Giving it all away means surrendering completly to the Lord and having the willing heart to walk away from your comfort zone.
5. Your faith is only considered real if it has action. Dead people don't move. People who are alive do!
6. Here is a bold but True statement. YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN UNLESS YOUR FAITH IS MOBILE. I didn't say God's word did. We are not called to be pew warmers but kingdom workers.
Our faith requires us and even commands us to surrender all to the Lord. I am not saying that we have to live as poor vagabonds. However, the question is this? Do you have things or do things have you? What is stopping you from serving the Lord? Do you reach out to others with the Gospel? Serving the Lord is one of the fundamental truths of our Christian doctrine. When discussing faith service has to go along with it. So what do you believe?
Lord give us your eyes just for one second.