Monday, September 19, 2011

The Power of Words

Words shape our very lives. They are every where around us good or bad words have a powerful impact on the whole planet. It is amazing to me that scripture has close to hundred or more verses which deal with our spoken words. Do you think God is trying to tell us something?

Talking is like playing on the harp; there is as much in laying the hands on the strings to stop their vibration as in twanging them to bring out their music.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sometimes we forget that we have the power to stop the words we speak but we allow them to slip out of our mouths like a train moving fast down a hill.  The words we speak can build or destroy the work God desires to do within us.  I have seen Christians blame their leaders for not being where they need to be spiritually. When in retrospect it was their own words spoken and behaviors which stopped them from achieving the call of God on their lives.


Proverbs 6:2  you are trapped by the words of your own mouth, caught by your own promise.


How many times have we said things without thinking about them first? Words have the ability to entrap us. 


Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~Ira Gassen

The Effect of Angry Words
There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.
The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered each day gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.
Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The boy soon discovered that taking them out was even harder than driving them in!
The days passed and one day the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.
The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like these. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out, but it doesn't matter how many times you say ‘I'm sorry,’ the wound is still there."


Proverbs 18:21  The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words.

The tongue or our words have the power to bring life or make alive the situations we are in.  When you speak positive words it changes the whole environment.  Words of life can grow a godly garden and it can prosper the fruit of God within us. That is why it is so important to pray out loud. When you are praying in the spirit, you are releasing those godly words into the atmosphere of your life. They begin to attack to the righteous building of God within you and form a greater work for His purpose.

Words spoken of death can destroy the promises of God in our lives.  That word death means pestilence. Can you imagine that? The words we speak can cause pestilence in the lives of those who listen.  When we gossip about others, especially our brethren, our words give power to the evil one. Most don't see or understand that the demonic waits at the edge our lips for words that will empower them to overcome God's people. Words can have life or death because they effect both the physical and spiritual realms of our life. That is why Jesus was careful of what he spoke. Oh Lord help us to do the same!!!! ME FIRST LORD!!! ME FIRST!!!!


Proverbs 12:18  Careless words stab like a sword, but the words of wise people bring healing.




Have you ever been in an argument? Have you seen the argument escalate when you spoke the wrong words out? This is so true. My wife gets mad at me at times when we begin to argue. I chose my words wisely and the argument usually dissipates. Not always mind you. I am human like anyone and there are times when I just let the words fly out of my mouth and the argument escalated to Defcon 3. The bible says that Believers have the ministry of reconciliation. Our words should be ones of healing and encouragement to each other regardless of the circumstance. They should be words of understanding and direction not of pain and stabbing.

Ephesians 4:29  Don't say anything that would hurt another person. Instead, speak only what is good so that you can give help wherever it is needed. That way, what you say will help those who hear you.



How many believers get this verse above? I know sometimes I haven't, but this is a commandment from the Spirit. Don't say anything that would hurt another person. When you gossip, put others down, blame others for your problems, or speak evil about others in general it reveals the FOOL within you.  People will start to shy away from you because of your many words about others, because they don't want to be your next target. We are going to have disagreement among ourselves but scripture is very clear. We should work them out in Holy Love. This means apologizing for your wrong and moving on.  Last time I checked the bible; it said NO GOSSIPERS WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Do you think the Lord has a pretty tough stance against hurtful words spoken about his children.  I would say so. Although I have not been perfect and my flesh has gotten the best of me at times. I have for the most part tried not to put down or gossip about others who have done me wrong or who I have disagreements with. Especially if they are God's children. There is a theme in God's word that says " Don't mess with my anointed." There is a fear of the Lord which rises up in me when it comes to gossiping or saying hurtful words about others. Here is the stance. God says VENGEANCE IS MINE SAYS THE LORD. I simply trust that God will take care of those who say all manner of evil about me , and I have seen it time and time again where he has. I could tell you stories but I want. If I retaliate with my words then I stop the promise of God for working in my life.  It is human nature to defend ourselves from ignorant and foolish words spoken against us. It is spiritual nature and maturity in the Lord that says ,  " I will lay this down at His feet because He is my Avenger." 


Loved ones watch what you say to each other. Make sure you are not defending yourselves for the sake of your damaged pride. Don't get me wrong there will be times where you will have to set the record straight but Holy Spirit will direct. Practice speaking the Words of God in your lives and watch your whole environment change. 


blessings,

Johnny

Post a Comment