Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Stain

Psalms 51:1-12  For the choir director; a psalm by David when the prophet Nathan came to him after David's adultery with Bathsheba. Have pity on me, O God, in keeping with your mercy. In keeping with your unlimited compassion, wipe out my rebellious acts.  (2)  Wash me thoroughly from my guilt, and cleanse me from my sin.  (3)  I admit that I am rebellious. My sin is always in front of me.  (4)  I have sinned against you, especially you. I have done what you consider evil. So you hand down justice when you speak, and you are blameless when you judge.  (5)  Indeed, I was born guilty. I was a sinner when my mother conceived me.  (6)  Yet, you desire truth and sincerity. Deep down inside me you teach me wisdom.  (7)  Purify me from sin with hyssop, and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.  (8)  Let me hear sounds of joy and gladness. Let the bones that you have broken dance.  (9)  Hide your face from my sins, and wipe out all that I have done wrong.  (10)  Create a clean heart in me, O God, and renew a faithful spirit within me.  (11)  Do not force me away from your presence, and do not take your Holy Spirit from me.  (12)  Restore the joy of your salvation to me, and provide me with a spirit of willing obedience.

There I was getting ready for my uniform and barracks inspection from the Colonel over our Military Base. I had many other inspections before while being in the military but this one seemed more important. Everyone was rushing around and getting ready. Every solider was making last minute presses to their uniforms. I think I ironed 200 pairs of pants that day, and I seemed to be the sucker that could actually use an iron. I knew how to get the creases just right on the pants legs. I guess.

I remember helping so many friends that I started getting behind on my stuff. The time was drawing closer and closer to the Colonel's arrival. I finished making my bed ( The quarter bounced liked a tennis ball dropped from the Empire State building.) and I started to get my clothes ready. I remember sitting on the edge of my bed and pulling out my black shoe polish. This polish was the best stuff to use. It was like black ink one could rub on the shoes to make them shine. The shiner the shoe the better one had a chance of passing the inspection. I went to get up from my bed, and I forgot that the shoe polish was still sitting on it. As I rose up the movement caused the shoe polish bottle to tip over. Lying on my bed was my pair of Dress A pants. Guess what? The polish spilled all over the bottom of my right pants leg. It left this big, black spot. I went into panic mode. One of the Sergeant's started to yell through the barracks that the Colonel was on his way. I had about 10 minutes to get my mess cleaned up. I had another pair of pants but I had procrastinated and never got the legs hemmed up to my height. All I had was this stain filled pants. I got some soap and a rag and started to scrub my pants leg vigorously. Now I had a bigger black spot which was surrounded by water. I took my iron and started to dry the pants leg. I was able to get the black spot to look faded. One could not see the spot at just a first glance.

Finally I got dressed and the shout was given from one of our sergeants. " Attent Hut!" All of the soldiers stood in attention as the Colonel walked by bunk bed. He meticulously looked at each solider and their living areas. I was so nervous and was almost at the point of shaking my skin off. I was afraid that the Colonel was going to see my faded spot. The Colonel gets to me and my little area of living. He congratulates me and tells me a job well done. He walks by and moves towards the next solider. Inside of my mind , I was rejoicing and thanking God that the Colonel did not see my spot. Well I celebrated prematurely. As the Colonel walked by the corner of his eye caught a glimpse of something unusual. He did a double take look and discovered my faded spot. I was busted!!! What could I have done? He stepped back over to me and asked , in a gentle voice, " What happen to your pants solider?" In a shivering voice, I replied " I spilt ink on it , Sir." He told me to get it fixed and not to let it happen again. I have to believe that the Colonel probably did the same thing when he was younger or he knew someone who did. He was very merciful to me which was a big surprise.

How many times have we tried to hide our stains from the Lord? When he comes to inspect our heart, we simply try to cover up our iniquities. But our Lord has a keen eye just like this Colonel did for my situation. Jesus sees and knows about it all. He is just waiting for us to admit to the sin in our life.

David had discovered this truth. He had first denied and covered up his sin with Bathsheba. He had rationalized that his sin was OK, but the Lord had sent his prophet to say otherwise. David had two choices. 1. Continue to deny the reality of his sin or 2. Fully confess all to the Lord and repent.  David humbly chose the latter. Let's look at his confession.

The Confession to the Stain:

1. Wipe out the rebellious stain.
2. Wash me thoroughly from the guilt stain.
3.  Cleanse me from the stain.
4.  Purify me from the stain.

 God desires to wash away our sins and cleanse us from our stains. He is forever the generous and loving God. His mercy is there for those who desire to receive it. I want to live my life stain free which means there will be times where I will need to confess my sins openly to the Father.


Love you all,

Johnny





Post a Comment