Luke 5:17-26 One day when Jesus was teaching, some Pharisees and experts in Moses' Teachings were present. They had come from every village in Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem. Jesus had the power of the Lord to heal. (18) Some men brought a paralyzed man on a stretcher. They tried to take him into the house and put him in front of Jesus. (19) But they could not find a way to get him into the house because of the crowd. So they went up on the roof. They made an opening in the tiles and let the man down on his stretcher among the people. (They lowered him in front of Jesus.) (20) When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Sir, your sins are forgiven." (21) The scribes and the Pharisees thought, "Who is this man? He's dishonoring God! Who besides God can forgive sins?" (22) Jesus knew what they were thinking. So he said to them, "What are you thinking? (23) Is it easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? (24) I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins." Then he said to the paralyzed man, "Get up, pick up your stretcher, and go home." (25) The man immediately stood up in front of them and picked up the stretcher he had been lying on. Praising God, he went home. (26) Everyone was amazed and praised God. They were filled with awe and said, "We've seen things today we can hardly believe!"
Before Jesus entered the ministry, he was the earthly son of a carpenter. Jesus was able financially and physically to have his own house. There is no proof to say that the passage above was about Jesus' house or wasn't about Jesus' house. For our study, lets say that this was indeed Jesus' house.Before Jesus went into the ministry, he could have very well had his own house. He was 30 years old.. There was something significant about being 30. According to 12th century commentator, Rashbam, it meant the person was worthy of Leadership. Here is a clip from a writing I found on the Internet about the subject. " The Code of Jewish Law (O.C. 581:1) instructs congregations to seek certain qualities when choosing a cantor to lead the services on the High Holidays. One of these qualities is that he should be at least 30 years old. Why? The Mishna Brura explains that it is because a 30-year-old is humble and broken hearted, and can thus sincerely "pray from the heart.""
Then in the Torah we find that someone who has reached the age of 30 has discovered the " Moment of Truth." This means that the individual has discovered the certain realities of life and humbly uses them for leadership. Age 30 was also the time when the Jewish man prepared his home for his future bride. Are you getting the big picture yet?
Now let's look at what took place in Jesus' house. We can apply it today for our lives. What should be taking place in the House of Christ today in our time?
1. Teaching: Jesus was teaching the religious people and average person in his house. He was explaining the word of God with great authority and understanding. The word of God is a living organism. It is life to anyone who hears it and believes it. In the House of God today , we should be hearing and doing the word of God. His word is a two-edged sword and many try to corrupt it for their benefit. Jesus taught the word "AS IS" There were no hidden messages or twisted meanings. It was the pure unadulterated word of God. This is why the religious people of the day would get upset with Him. In the House of God, the teaching of God's word should be so strong and so adored that the hearer is deeply changed and renewed by it. His word is life changing!!!!
2. The Power of God: Vs. 17 says that Jesus has the Power to Heal. The Power of God was present in the House of Jesus. People came from all over because of this power. In the House of God today, there should be a constant flow of God's power flowing. It should be like a continuous pipeline pumping the power of God through every believer. We are the House of God. We are the carriers of His glorious power to the nations.
4. Sins are forgiven
5. Revealing of hearts: Vs. 22 Jesus discerned the hearts of the religious and of the people who were there. He knew what they were thinking. He revealed their hearts before everyone and spoke out what they were thinking. In the House of God today, we should have this kind of discernment flowing. We should create an atmosphere were the hearts of all are revealed. This is the only way UNITY will be able to survive. This will usher in the fear of the Lord and it will humble God's people. Oh Lord come and reveal my heart in your presence!!!!
6. Changed lives: 25-26. Jesus commanded the man to rise up and walk. The man stood up, took up his mat, and left for home Praising the living God. In the House of God, there should be changed lives. People should be walking in freedom. This man stood up and took up the very thing he was accustom to. He was use to the mat. It had became a part of his life, and he was bound to it. When Jesus touched his life that mat was needed no longer. When we are changed by the power of God; we should never turn back to the familiar that once kept us bound. We should leave the house of God changed and renewed.
7. Praise through Amazement: Vs. 26. In the house of Christ people praised the living God because of the amazement of what they just saw. Sometimes our praise before the Lord is done in routine and ritual. What if we kept a sense of amazement beating in our hearts for Jesus, and we praised Him from those hearts? What would our worship look like? What would our praise look like?
We are the house of God and all these things should be happening within our gatherings and within our individual lives. We are the Body of Christ. It is more than just a title it is a position. We should see these things happening in our lives, in some measure, on a daily basis. The only reason we don't see them is because we get caught up in the cares of this world. I know I do at times, but I want to see my Lord glorified more and more. I want to see Him transforming the lives of so many around me. It is time that we act and live like the House of God should act and live. Oh may the Living God be glorified in our lives today!!!!!!