2 Timothy 1:9 God saved us and called us to be holy, not because of what we had done, but because of his own plan and kindness. Before the world began, God planned that Christ Jesus would show us God's kindness.
When I was younger I got called all kind of names because I did not believe in having sex before marriage. I will not go into detail what those names were but they were not great. I was a young Christian man who struggled like any other young teenage boy did. I can't say that I was totally innocent in my thoughts and doings, but I can say for the most part I tried to live pure. I fought to stay pure while everyone around me fell to the temptations. I did not judge them because I knew too well how strong those temptations were and how hard they were to overcome at times. Staying Pure is not easy. That is why we need the strength of the Lord.
I have noticed that my times of strength are when I have been in constant prayer and communication with Him. The temptations still come and sometimes even stronger but I easily overcome because He is the strong force within me. The times when I am weak because of late hours at work or my life has been consumed with other life thingys. Then I notice that my ability to fall into a sin is easier. Whether it is a bad thought, a lie, impatient behavior, rudeness, anger without reason, lustfulness, depression, being doubtful, and other such behaviors will try to emerge.
Living a Pure life is not easy and sometimes you think you are living pure and you are not. The Definition of pure is as follows. This is taken from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.
Definition of PURE
a (1) : unmixed with any other matter
a (1) : free from what vitiates, weakens, or pollutes (2) : containing nothing that does not properly belong b : free from moral fault or guilt c : marked by chastity
Being pure means being free from the things that are opposite of God's nature. The WHAT WOULD JESUS DO slogan really comes into play here. Our definition of purity can sometimes be different that God's. As human beings, we have the tendency to make excuses for our sins by covering them up or by calling them something else. The truth of the matter is that in today's world even the word “Purity" has been transformed. Christian’s teens get away from sexual intercourse by having oral sex with their partners. Since there is no penetration then it must be ok. NOPE! It is still wrong. Sexual sins are Sexual sins. Christians today tell lies but because they are “WHITE LIES" it is ok. NOPE!!!! Still wrong. Believers try to get around the gossip sin and the back biting sin by expressing their concern about the people they are talking about. Yeah that is not concern. Christians cover up their sin of greed by misquoting the bible and saying “God wants me blessed."
So what is God's Standard for Purity? What does it mean to live pure? I have to admit that I am on this journey of discovering more and more what it means to live pure for the Lord. I can say for the most part of my life I have but there is much room for improvement as well. I literally don't want to be tainted by any outside force that does not belong in me. Now there are some things permissible and that is a different story. But I am talking about the PURE LIFE for God on a daily basis.
The PURITY TEST. " Are you pure?" ( BASED FROM THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and JESUS SERMON ON THE MOUNT. ( Exodus 20 & Matthew 5)
" If you answer negatively to just one of these questions then you have room to grow in your purity with God." Galatians 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
1. Have you put other things before God recently?
2. Have you spent more than an hour in prayer with God today?
3. Have you read and studied is word more than an hour today?
4. Do you pray every day?
5. Have you stopped and worshiped God today?
6. Have you recently taken a day of rest and just spent it with God and family?
7. Did you not do the following? Talked back, disobeyed, and mumbled under your breath to your parents today or within the past few weeks?
8. Did you have a hateful or mean thought this week towards others?
9. Did you gossip about someone recently and call it something else? (If the person is not present, it is gossip.)
10. Have you had sex with someone else recently that was not your spouse?
11. Have you had lustful thoughts recently?
12. Have you watched porn recently?
13. Is your sexuality pure and to God's standard?
14. Did you steal something this week? ( office supplies from your company, not returning a cashier's mistake of giving too much change back, not spending quality time with God, family, and friends.)
15. Did you lie on someone recently?
16. Have you told a lie recently? (Not saying something about a circumstance you know about is still telling a lie. In other words, silence does not mean a lie is not being told.)
17. Have you coveted something recently? A life, a vehicle, and so forth.
18. Have you spent money and not given to God?
19. Do you give your full tithe to God before taxes from your pay check?
20. Do you give offerings? “Financial"
21. Have you bought things without giving to God first?
22. Have you bought things while knowing you were living beyond your means?
23. Have you prayed first before buying something?
24. Does your giving dictate your lifestyle or does your lifestyle dictate your giving?
25. Have you repented of any sin today or recently?
26. Was the repentance of sin emotional and heartfelt?
27. Have you done the same sin again recently?
28. Have you been kind to someone recently?
29. Have you witnessed to someone recently?
30. Have you spent more time with God than with your TV recently?
31. Do you slip out cuss words in front of others?
32. Are your thoughts pure?
33. Have you been persecuted for your faith recently? Not because you ran your mouth but because people see your holy lifestyle.
34. Have you let your light shine for others to see the Jesus in you?
35. Have you followed all of God's word for your life?
36. Have you changed God's word around to fit your lifestyle and taught others to do the same?
37. Do you hate and hold grudges on people right now?
38. Have you lusted after someone?
39. Have you made a promise to do something and have not kept it?
40. Do you forgive and love your enemies and don't gossip about them?
These 40 questions were just taken out of a proportion of God's word. There is more in His word we must follow. If you had just one negative respond to these questions then you have room to improve on your purity.
So what do we do now? How can we live a pure life with Him?
1. Build on your relationship with Him. Strive not to spend less time with Him but more. Plan your day not around your tasks but around your relationship with the Lord. Most people don't do that.
2. Read His word every day and memorize it. It helps us to combat the temptations of the enemy.
3. PRAY without Ceasing and spend more time in prayer than you do on your TV.
4. Get around other believers who are striving to live pure lives.
5. Keep an open and punitive heart.
6. Keep a broken and contrite heart. David sinned badly but his repentance and sorrow over that sin was true and real.
I ask that you pray for me as I seek to live a more pure life before my God. I want you to know that I am praying for all of you.