Thursday, April 21, 2011

Being Accountable to each other

Hebrews 10:23-25 We must continue to hold firmly to our declaration of faith. The one who made the promise is faithful. (24) We must also consider how to encourage each other to show love and to do good things. (25) We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming.

Yesterday I got stopped by the POPO ( the Police) as I was driving down a back road. I was going to pick up one of my girls friends, because she was going to youth group with them. This backwards road off of 155th Street has a 25 mph speed limit. I apparently was going 37 mph. What gives? I thought they give you 10 over the speed limit? Well any way this nice policeman stops me. He gets out of his truck and walks slowly to my driver side window. For those of you that don't know, I have a new car. I just bought a 2009 Toyota Yaris. ( It is a small little bitty car that gets about 40 to 45 gallons to a tank of gas. Pretty nice car. I call it my sweetie.) Anyway I noticed the officer was holding back laughter on his face as he walks to my window. He tells me that I was speeding. I told him that I knew and I was just not paying attention. He then begins to ask me about my car with a smirk on his face. He said " A Yaris huh? I have never seen or heard of one before." Knowing that he wanted to say much more because here you have a Italian burly looking man driving a miniature silver Yaris. In his mine he probably thought " I just pulled over a clown car for speeding." I commenced to tell the officer, " Yeah my oldest son makes fun of my car all the time." I let the officer off the hook with his laughter as he turns to go back to his truck. He comes back a few minutes later with my ticket and tells me to be careful. We drive off with laughter in our voices. This Officer not only gave me a ticket but also made fun of my sweetie ( My new car) How dare he? I bet he went back to the Police Station telling everyone the story of his adventure. The nerve of some people. LOL!!!!

Why do we have police officers? They are there to keep us accountable to the rules of the land. They remind us of what rules we need to follow whether we agree with them or not.

Why do we need to meet together and build relationships? We should remind each other of God's law and His purposes for our lives. We need to meet together in order to keep us in check with the holiness of God. Sometimes we don't like it when someone points out our sin but it is needed sometimes. We need each other. We need to share our hearts with each other and share about our personal battles. Maybe it is lust or fear. Maybe you battle with unforgiveness or resentment. We need each other to point those things out and pray for each other to overcome. We don't judge each other as believers, but we help each other overcome our weaknesses.

If you are not meeting faithfully with the brethren then you need to get to the place where you can. We need each other not one person is greater than the other. We need those kick in the pants every now and then. We need those harsh reminders so we can better passionately follow our Lord. My experience with the POPO was actually a refreshment for me. It was humbling, and it reminded me of why we actually need each other.

I love you all,

Johnny
Post a Comment